Lawton Memorial Library Board Meeting 

               Regular Board Meeting           Tuesday, May 21, 2019


*6:15 p.m. Meeting was called to order by board member Gwendolyn Hatfield. Roll call was taken with all board members present: Hatfield, Gail Muller, Georgia Everson, Donna Niles, Carol Persons, Barbara Melvin, and Kimberly Walker. Also present was Librarian Rita Wachuta-Breckel.            


*Verification of meeting posting at the Bank, Post Office, and Village Office on May 20, 2019 was given.            


*Niles moved, Everson seconded to approve the March 26, 2019 minutes as written. (Carried).


*Financial report: Reviewed the report from 1/1/19 to 4/30/19. The remaining balance for 2019 is $61,694.06. Of this amount, $2,303.66 is resource grant funds, $951.66 is Gates grant funds, and $1,184.50 is a grant from Organic Valley (CROPP). This leaves an operating budget of $57,254.24. The savings has a balance of $17,337.85, plus the 2 CD’s of $3,844.11 and $9,375.08. Carol explained to new member Barb about the savings accounts. They are in place for future protection, to help with balancing the budget or other needs. Muller moved, Persons seconded to approve the financial report. (Carried).   


*Statistical Report: Rita reviewed the statistics for March and April. Circulation is down. Looked over the numbers on the Interlibrary loans, Mahjong, Book Discussion, CLC, Twisted Stitchers, and the Cookbook Discussion group. The three programs held were well attended.              


*Friends Update: They’re hosting two Music in the Parks, one June 24th and the other August 26th. Funds from this go to the $300 donation for the summer reading program. And a short dedication of the solar panels is being planned for June 18th at 5 p.m.  


*Directors Report:    

**Yesterday, received $1,000+ in memorials for Delores Sandmire. Discussed doing something special to acknowledge her with this. She liked birds, so Georgia will check on a granite bird bath. Also, had some memorial money for Koletta Steinmetz. Will let her daughter, Peggy Pasker decide what to do for this. Persons moved, Niles seconded to proceed with the discussions of the memorial uses for Delores and Koletta. (Carried).       

**The last CLC was yesterday. The school lost their funding. We discussed the library will not be providing CLC or after school programs, as we don’t have the staff or funding to do so.

**Still having printer issues. The last time we had our meeting, it had just died. It took a month to get another one (on backorder). When we received the new one, it was not sufficient for us as it didn’t talk to the Sierra system. The next one was nearly sufficient. Cost is $387. This can be paid from the Gates grant as it’s used for the public.  

**Summer Library Program, “Universe of Stories”, is going to be down scaled as Rita is gone most of July.

**The Humane Society is coming down a day, along with Michelle Greenwood and Allison Benson, to show their new book.  

**Starting June 4th, at 10:30 a.m. will be a new toddler story time. Have 4 families interested, so will try it.

**June 4th, at 6:30 p.m., Doris Green is having a program, Underground Wisconsin, on mines, caves, etc.

**June 15th, Marcia Halogen will be reading from her book, which is an inspiration from her journals.

**Vernon County reads is kicking off this week, with author Allen Eskens on “The Life we Bury” and “The Shadows we Hide”.    

**June 7th and 8th is the Village wide rummage sales. Discussed selling books on the 8th at the Farmers Market, right behind the library, from 9-1 p.m. Will see if any “Friends” will help. Barb also volunteered.



**By-Laws Review: Need to review to make sure we’re in compliance with the State Statutes. 1990 was the last time it was updated. The board reviewed and made changes thru Article VII. Carol and Donna volunteered to work on the rest, with Rita, and present it at the next meeting. Decided to have someone attend the June 10th village board meeting to explain what we’re working on, making sure to comply.   


*Election of Officers: Need to formally elect a Chairperson. Niles nominated Barb Melvin, with Carol seconding. Gwen asked 3 times for any other nominations. There were none. All in favor. No one opposed.


*Vice-Chairperson: Georgia nominated Gwen Hatfield, with a second from Carol. Gwen asked 3 times for any other nominations. All in favor. No one opposed.


*Secretary/Treasurer: Donna nominated Kim Walker, with a second from Carol. Gwen asked 3 times for any other nominations. All in favor. No one opposed.  


*Policies Review: Rita put them altogether in one document for the board to look thru. She made some changes in red and put the library meeting room policy in green.


*New Director Search: Rita, Gwen, Carol, and Donna have been working on a timeline for the process and a new job description that was passed out for review. Gail moved, Carol seconded to accept the Library Director job description. (Carried).   


*Reviewed the Ad. Will place this in the Episcope, Epitaph-News, post on the WRLS site, LAPA facebook page, Village website, Library website, and check on a statewide library list or something like that. Put this in the first part of June. Applications are due on June 27th. Will have a special board meeting on Friday, June 28th, at 9:00 a.m. to review the applications and decide who to interview. Carol & Barb will work on a questionnaire for the interviewing process.  


*Public comments: During the expansion, it was noticed some units needed more shelves. Donna has talked to an Amish guy about getting some. And Carol mentioned the tower garden that we discussed last time, can also be placed indoors, not just outdoors. Maybe the school could have it during the winter and the library in the summer. One-unit costs $500. Something to think about.    


*The next meeting was scheduled for July 23, 2019, at 6:15 p.m.   


*Hatfield moved, Persons seconded to adjourn. (Carried). Adjourned at 8:45 p.m.



Kimberly Walker, Village Clerk/Treasurer