VILLAGE MEETING

  NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a meeting of the La Farge Village Board will be held on Monday, August 10, 2020, at 6:30 p.m. at the Emergency Services building, located at 201 S. Cherry Street.  

In an effort to reduce transmission of COVID-19, THIS IS NOT AN IN-PERSON MEETING

All participants, including the public, can join by calling 634-6666 or 888-366-4316 and entering ID 14048. Any questions can be directed to Clerk Kim Walker at 608-625-4422.

 

                                                         AGENDA:

 

     1.  Call to order/Roll Call  

 

    2.  Verification of Meeting Posting/Publishing

 

    3.  Approval of previous meetings minutes      

 

    4.  Correspondence

 

    5.  Public Comment

 

    6.  Regular Utility Business

 

    7.  Discussion on Main Street Reconstruction project & action on re-appointing members for

            the Main Street committee

 

    8.  Discussion on the EDA grant & action on appointment of an Economic Flood Recovery

           committee

          

    9.  Any old business      

      

  10.  Action to renew the ad in the Hidden Valley Visitor’s Guide

  

  11.  Action on a new operator license application  

  

  12.  Police report/update  

  

  13.  Committee reports and updates

  

  14.  Approval to pay the Bills

 

  15.  Adjournment

 

 Kimberly Walker, Village Clerk/Treasurer

             Posted 8/07/2020  

---------------------------

                                    VILLAGE OF LA FARGE

                   Regular Board Meeting         Monday, August 10, 2020

                                  

*President Cheryl Purvis called the regular meeting of the La Farge Village Board to order at 6:30 p.m. at the Emergency Services building. Due to COVID-19, participants were offered a conference calling option.         

  

Roll Call - Present at the meeting:

Board Members: Cheryl Purvis, Aaron Appleman, Frank Quinn, Barbara Melvin, Aaron Nemec, and Reggie Nelson.  

Joining by conference calling: Board Member Terry Jensen and news reporter Bonnie Sherman.   

Also present: News reporter Lonnie Muller, Public Works Manager Wayne Haugrud, Police Chief Jonathon Brown, and Clerk Kimberly Walker.  

 

*Verification of meeting publishing in the La Farge Episcope and posting at the Bank, Post Office, and Village Office on August 7, 2020 was given.    

  

*Quinn moved, Appleman seconded to approve the previous meetings minutes: (7-13-20/EDA committee meeting; 7-13-20/Finance & Personnel committee meeting; 7-13-20/Regular Village board meeting; and 7-30-20/Joint Review Board meeting). (Carried).  

 

*Correspondence: We received a letter from a woman in Potosi, regarding the villages visit there. She tells us more on the towns history and thanked us for coming and our positive comments on their community.

 

*Public Comment: None.  

 

*Utility business: In December 2018, we had Johnson Block apply to the PSC for an electric rate increase. (Our last increase was March 2009). The PSC staff has proposed a 20.63% increase. For an average residential customer using 495 kw, it would be $11.43 per month. A public “dial in” hearing is scheduled for August 17, 2020, at 10 a.m. at the Utility office, with the PSC, utility staff, and public to ask any questions. The current rate is .1000 and is going to .1138 cents per kw, and the monthly flat charge of $6 will go to $10.50.  

 

*Discussion on Main Street reconstruction project: Currently waiting to hear if the village is going to be awarded the million-dollar CDBG grant. If we are awarded, we will proceed as we’ve been planning. If not, we need to look at what needs done infrastructure wise. Cheryl would like to take herself and Wayne off the Main Street committee, and add community members, to get more people involved and get their input. The current 3 members to stay on are Deb Nelson, Margaret Becker, and Reggie Nelson. The two new ones are Kathy Appleman and Nick Burnard. Quinn moved, Nemec seconded to approve the three current members and the two new ones. (Carried).       

 

*Discussion on the EDA grant: Vierbichers is currently working on community wide facility assessments and cost estimates, on the wells, reservoir, communication systems, wastewater plant, streets, sidewalks, etc. Also, the electrical substation, which we are having the MRRPC working on applying for another 80/20% EDA grant for a 1.8-million-dollar project to relocate this. A meeting is coming up to discuss the seven previous public input sessions and put together those ideas for a plan. When this was first started, we only needed 2 reps. Now we need to form a committee moving forward. Barb Melvin and Brad Steinmetz were the original 2. Interested in joining them are Dean Steinmetz, Greg Lawton, and Kris Gabrielson. Nemec moved, Melvin seconded to approve forming an Economic Flood Recovery (EFR) committee of the 5 listed. (Carried).    

 

*Old business: None.      

  

*New business:  

*Quinn moved, Nemec seconded to approve the renewal of the ad in the Hidden Valleys Visitors Guide and to tack on the website mobile ap ad for free for paying the $266 ad cost in August. (Carried).  

 

*The person for the operator license application did not turn in their training certificate. No action.

 

*Police report/update: Chief Brown had 79 calls for service in July. Had four new violations on lawns, with two being abated. Had Municipal court August 6th and arrested a resident on drug charges. Jon gave a brief overview of a line item for next month, that deals with a group called Lexi Pol, that provides professional policies and services across the country for police departments. Our insurance company has partnered with them and will reimburse us the costs we pay. Jon will get the info to Kim to send out for next month on this.           

 

*Committee Reports:       

**Cheryl is working to get “Zoom” for our future meetings, workshops, etc. Cost is $14.99 a month and can be discontinued anytime. It includes up to 100 people.   

 

*Quinn moved, Nemec seconded to approve payment of the bills. (Carried).

                  

*Quinn moved, Appleman seconded to adjourn. (Carried). Adjourned at 6:52 p.m.

 

  Kimberly Walker, Village Clerk/Treasurer

11.